- For every one million sheets of paper not printed, 85 pulp trees are saved.
- If all morning newspapers read in the United States were recycled, 41,000 trees would be saved daily and 6 million tons of waste would never end up in landfills.
- Recycling an aluminum can saves enough energy to run a television set for three hours.
- Each year, steel recycling saves the equivalent to electrically power about one-fifth of U.S. households for one year.
- By using plastic in packaging, American product manufactures save enough energy each year to power a city of one million homes for three-and-a-half years.
- The aluminum beverage can returns to the grocer’s shelf in as little as 60 days after collection.
- Americans buy over 85 million tons of paper per year-that’s about 700 pounds per person.
- Most aluminum recovered is used to manufacture new cans.
- 99% of all beer cans and 97% of all soft drink cans are made of aluminum.
- Without plastics, 400 percent more material by weight and 200 percent more material by volume would be needed to make packaging. While the volume of packaging would more than double.
The City of El Paso Environmental Services Department offers recycling presentations to schools, community organizations and businesses. For more information about these presentations or to schedule one, please send us an email via our Contact Us page or call Environmental Services at 621-6700.